Many of you have been experiencing an Arctic cold front this week. My recommendation is homemade soup. This recipe, adapted from the Moosewood cookbook, is delicious served with buttermilk cornbread.
Serves 8 as a starter, 4-6 as a main dish
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
2 tablespoons ginger, grated
1 large carrot, sliced
2 medium sweet potatoes, coarsely chopped
4 cups water
2 cups tomato juice
1 cup smooth peanut butter
3 green onions, chopped
1. Heat oil in a large pot and sauté onions until translucent. Add cayenne, ginger and carrots and sauté for 3 minutes.
2. Add sweet potatoes and water, and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Cool for a few minutes.
3. Add the tomato juice and peanut butter and puree in a blender or use an immersion blender.
4. Return to the pot and reheat gently.
5. Serve garnished with green onions.