Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars


When I moved to Oxford I brought many baking supplies with me, including several essential American ingredients – chocolate chips, flaked coconut and natural peanut butter. I also brought slivered almonds, pistachios, cardamom and gum arabic for Indian mithai. I also transported a few cake tins, loaf pans and a baking sheet. The other night when I had a craving for chocolate chip cookies, I was devastated to find that my baking sheet was too large for the tiny oven in my kitchen.

Not one to be easily thwarted, I decided to make chocolate chip cookie dough and bake it in a brownie pan. I concocted a fairly traditional cookie recipe, which I am sure would taste even better with coconut or toffee chips. The upside of this method is that you have only a single pan to clean.

On an entirely different note, my friend Natalie sent an email on Monday to ask if I had a pumpkin recipe to feature this week in celebration of Hallowe’en. I referred her to my Spicy Pumpkin Gingerbread which is ideal for the fall and winter. Watch this space for other pumpkin desserts (including a pumpkin cheesecake) just in time for American Thanksgiving.

Ingredients
2/3 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and line a 9x9 inch pan with wax or parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, mix flour and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla and beat again.
4. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon. Fold in chocolate chips.
5. Using the spoon or your fingers dipped in cold water, evenly spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until lightly browned - 20 minutes for super chewy bars or 25 minutes for more crisp bars.
6. During cooking the edges of the batter will bake unevenly, causing the batter to rise up at the sides. To prevent this, wrap aluminum foil around the edge of the pan so that it shields the edges of the batter. This will ensure more even baking.
7. The mixture will be quite soft when it comes out of the oven. Let it cool for an hour or two, and then cut into bars. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.

9 comments:

KayKat said...

Yum! And so much better with brown sugar :)

david said...

very funny -- i got lazy last week and put my choco chip cookie dough in a brownie pan. added coconut and walnuts, and replaced half the flour with oat flour (regular oats blended until fine). was excellent. though not as pretty as yours...

Finla said...

They are just delicious

Mansi said...

Loks great! like the way you made it in the shape of brownies! I love the chewy ones:)

mhuyck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mhuyck said...

This reminds me of a former British co-worker who looked perplexed when everyone wished him a happy Thanksgiving as they left work on the fourth Wednesday in November. He thought about it for a few seconds and his face lit up as he exclaimed "ah, American Thanksgiving, right!" He went on to say "you see, in my country, we celebrate Thanksgiving on the fourth of July."

Swaroopa said...

looks delicious!!

Divya and Chaya said...

Yummmyyyyyyyyyyyy

Anonymous said...

Tried these out yesterday for a party. They were a hit!